Ackerman is a family-owned company and was established in 1885. William George Ackerman opened a shop premises in Bridport, Dorset and his products included watch and clock manufacture & repair and general light engineering.
In 1981 James Henry Ackerman Moved the business premises to Folly Mill in Folly Mill Lane. The products had evolved to serve local netting industries in refurbishing looms and then during the 1940s & 50s converting hand operated netting looms to semi-automatic motorised looms.
In the 1970’s David William George Ackerman moved the product towards sheet metal work, and he was approached by Varta Batteries to produce a secure metal case for a new product development. Having uncovered a relatively new and emerging market David soon outgrew the Folly Mill premises and moved the company to a new purpose built 300M² industrial unit in St Andrews Road.
Currently the company is under the direction of fourth generation Graham David Ackerman. At the turn of the new millennium to complement existing pressing facilities Graham introduced CO2 Laser cutting. Soon followed further expansion, in 2006 new premises were built. Today our modern single span freehold premises of 1600M² are located on Bridport’s business park at Gore Cross. With sight firmly set on the future, Graham’s son Edward and daughter Lucy are both working within the family business.